Thursday 4 June 2015

Africa Countdown


For the past 92 days, I have had a countdown on my phone for when I leave to go to South Africa. I will be going for a month, to assist with Conservation Reserve Research with the Big 5, and specifically leopards, lions, elephants and rhinos, to track their eating/mating habits, develop learning within local communities and provide first aid care to the animals that need it.

So, it has definitely crept up on me, as I checked my countdown app and apparently I only have 9 days to sort everything out, so I ran out to get everything I needed (although I am still short on a sleeping bag, rain jacket, rucksack and binoculars -kind of the essentials!).

My favourite purchase has to be my new suitcase - it is bright purple with white polka dots, so adorable and perfectly sized, although my mum still thought it would be necessary to get luggage tags... Seriously mother.

I thought I would share my packing with you, in the hope that if I forgot anything, someone could be wonderfully observational and tell me so I don't end up on the South African plains having to make a temporary hairbrush out of a lion's mane.

I will add at this point, that The Salvation Army charity shop has been an absolute godsend - their assortment of combat trousers and safari shorts have kitted me out with clothes I never thought I would buy or need. But when faced with a month-long trip to a country I have never experienced, especially as South Africa's winter nights are legendary for loss of limb to frostbite (I may be exaggerating a little) then I panicked and began thinking that my Alexander McQueen chiffon blouses and high-waisted Forever 21 shorts may be out of place. Are patterned tights acceptable for helping wounded elephants be strapped to a helicopter for recovery? Is a bandeau bikini top sufficient when diving with Great White Sharks? I didn't think so either.

So here I come South Africa, with a swimming cozzy accustomed to OAPs, navy combat trousers that have a toggle at the bottom that tightens and hiking boots that have sufficient ankle support for a rhinoceros to wear them and not give way.

Hey - you've got to try everything at least once!






2 comments: